top of page

REPORT | West Allotment Celtic 2-1 Newcastle Benfield

West Allotment Celtic made it nine league games unbeaten and climbed back into the top half of the table after goals from Jake Forster and Matty Hayton secured a 2-1 win against Newcastle Benfield.

Allotment began the game very brightly as Jake Forster put the green and white hoops ahead after 6 minutes. Benfield responded well and equalised after 37 minutes when Dennis Knight found the back of the net after beating multiple players.

Matty Hayton scored the decisive goal with 20 minutes to play after a composed finish inside the box beat Wilson.

Our largest crowd since November witnessed Allotment get off to a very quick start and we almost took the lead with just three minutes played. Luke Parkinson whipped in a precise corner which found the head of Matty Hayton. The latter's glancing header came back off the crossbar in very unfortunate circumstances.

On 6 minutes, we took the lead as another corner delivery caused huge problems for the visitors. Another Parkinson cross wasn't dealt with and Jake Forster prodded the ball home from close range - His first goal since August.

The lead was almost doubled after 11 minutes when Callum Larmouth struck a free kick off the wall but the ball deflected just wide of the post.

Benfield began to find their feet as the first half progressed. On 20 minutes, Paul Brayson took aim from a free kick 20 yards out but it was a comfortable save for Hodgson.

After 37 minutes, Newcastle Benfield found the equaliser to make it 1-1. A jinking run from Dennis Knight saw him beat multiple players before walking the ball into the empty net.

Benfield almost took the lead on 42 minutes. A deep free kick was swung towards goal and the fingertips of Hodgson tipped the ball around the post for a corner.

Allotment looked to take control of the game once again in the second half. Callum Larmouth and second half substitute Jack Pearson both came close early on.

A big moment came in the 55th minute as Allotment were awarded a penalty. Matty Hayton squared the ball to Scott McCarthy and as the latter was shooting towards the open goal, he was hacked down.

Callum Larmouth stepped up to take the resulting penalty however, it was saved by Wilson and Larmouth's rebounding shot went wide.

Larmouth came close again on the 66th minute. Owen Carr, another second half substitute, played the ball through to Larmouth and his shot at goal fizzed wide.

With 71 minutes played, West retook the lead courtesy of Matty Hayton. Calls for offside from the visitors were waved away as Hayton controlled the ball from Larmouth's pass and guided the ball past Wilson with a composed finish from 10 yards out.

Once again, The Lions looked to respond and the ever-present Paul Brayson forced a save from Hodgson with 73 minutes played.

On 80 minutes, Jake Forster came close to doubling his own personal goal tally for the game. Parkinson played a quick free kick to Forster and he drove forwards before blasting a powerful shot just wide.

Entering the final stages of the game, Allotment played their get out of jail free card. It looked like the visitors were going to certainly equalise however, a close range shot came back off the post and the rebound was fired wide.

With a minute to go, Allotment managed to evade danger yet again as a free header was aimed straight into the gloves of Finn Hodgson.

The win moves West Allotment up to 10th in the Ebac Northern League Division One with one game to play. We host the champions, North Shields FC, this Monday at East Palmersville Sports Pavilion with an 11am KO.

Allotment: Hodgson, Baltazar, Parkinson, Forster, Scott (c), Higgins, Hayton, Errington, McCarthy (Carr 63'), Thompson (Pearson 46'), Larmouth

Goals: Forster (6'), Hayton (71')

Att: 140

NEXT UP | North Shields FC (H) - Monday April 18th, 11:00am KO, NE12 9HW - Bar open from 10am!

123 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page