top of page
  • Callum Pattison

REPORT | West Allotment 1-1 Newton Aycliffe

The unbeaten league run stretches to eight games however, West Allotment will be ruing a host of missed opportunities in a game that could have been won.

Callum Larmouth opened the scoring on 65 minutes with his 29th goal of the season after a clinical counterattacking move. The visitors responded with 3 minutes to go as Petitjean headed past Finn Hodgson to earn Aycliffe a draw.

The game certainly didn't lack chances and Newton Aycliffe arguably came the closest to opening the scoring after 13 minutes. The ball fell to an Aycliffe forward in the box and he fired towards goal however, Hodgson was there to produce a classy save to keep the score level.

Matty Hayton then came close three times in eight minutes for West Allotment. Firstly, in the 20th minute, Hayton shrugged off an Aycliffe defender in the box before letting a shot go which was saved at the near post.

On 22 minutes, Hayton found himself one-on-one with Green, but the goalkeeper was able to stop the shot from close range. After 28 minutes, Hayton again came close, this time firing over the bar, after a great ball into him from McCarthy.

Into the second half, the visitors came close after 53 minutes however, the Aycliffe forward's powerful shot was always rising over the bar.

After multiple half-chances for both sides, the deadlock was finally broken in the 65th minute. A fast-paced counterattack stunned the visitors as Scott McCarthy squared the ball to Larmouth for a simple finish in the end.

The lead was almost doubled on 77 minutes. Luke Parkinson played the ball upfield to McCarthy. The latter gathered the ball and drove into the box before firing a shot over the crossbar.

After looking like picking up all 3 points, de ja vu struck as Allotment conceded late for the second time in as many games to drop points. An excellent corner found Petitjean at the back post who bulleted the header into the back of the net.

There was even more late drama in the final seconds of the game. Allotment were breaking away down the right through Matty Hayton who was brought down inside the penalty area at the same time as the referee blowing the whistle for full-time.

Aaron Brown, who brought down Hayton, was booked for foul however the decision for full-time stood.

Allotment: Hodgson, Baltazar, Parkinson, Forster, Scott (c), Higgins, Hayton, Errington, McCarthy, Thompson, Larmouth

Subs: Bryan, Monaghan, Pearson, J. Bates

88 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page