top of page

Report | Newcastle Benfield 2-3 West Allotment Celtic

Matty Hayton's 85th minute strike ensured that West Allotment picked up their fourth successive league win - all four of them wins coming from behind.

Benfield took the lead through Ryan McGorrigan inside the first ten minutes. The equaliser came just after the 20 minute mark as Matty Hayton continued his fine goal-scoring form before Benfield landed a big blow just before half time - McGorrigan grabbed his second of the game to put his side ahead at half time.

The Allotment fightback began seconds after the restart as Guy Bates drew us level on 46 minutes and eventually, Hayton scored his second of the game with a wonderful finish to earn us all three points.

Weather conditions perhaps played a part as the game lacked good goal scoring opportunities for the most part. However, the first real chance of the game was snapped up by the hosts.

A ball over the top of the defence wasn't dealt with as Ryan McGorrigan played the ball into the box. A deflected shot meant that the ball ended up back at McGorrigan's feet at the back-post and he bundled the ball into the back of the net off the post.

On 15 minutes, our local rivals came close to doubling their advantage. A precise corner found the head of a Benfield player but, the header was not on target and skipped past the post.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Allotment found themselves level after a well-taken goal from Matty Hayton. Last week's match-winner Mikel Thompson went on a trademark-Thompson run and the Benfield defence couldn't stop him. Thompson played the ball into the box for Hayton finished incredibly well after a sloppy first touch.

A few half chances followed for Allotment. Jake Forster had a shot on goal after 28 minutes but it was deflected out for a corner. Larmouth also came close on 37 minutes with a long-range effort however, it went just past the post.

Benfield restored their lead 4 minutes before half time. Right-back Peter Glen-Ravenhill played the ball across the box to McGorrigan and the latter made no mistake firing the ball into the roof of the net from 16 yards out.

Within seconds of the referee blowing his whistle to start the second-half, we were back on level-terms. Guy Bates finished off a well-worked attacking move into the bottom corner after Hayton played the ball to his feet inside the box.

On 60 minutes we had one of the best chances of the game. Callum Larmouth held his run and broke away from Benfield's high-line. He went one-on-one with Frampton but the Benfield shot-stopper managed to deny Larmouth.

With 83 minutes played, we had another golden opportunity through Guy Bates. An exquisite through-ball from Larmouth found Bates. Bates, on the stretch, took the shot first time but the ball trickled just millimetres past the post.

A minute later, we were rewarded for our efforts as we took the lead for the first time in the encounter. A ball into the box was deflected into the path of Hayton. The ball bounced once before Hayton put his foot through the ball and scored a sensational half-volley which meant we walked away with our fourth successive win.

We climb to 12th in the league table and are just three points from the top eight.

Allotment: Hodgson, Baltazar, Parkinson, Bates, Errington (c), Higgins, Thompson, Forster, Hayton, Larmouth, Martins

Used Subs: Bryan, Leech

Unused Subs: Monaghan, J. Bates

Goals: Hayton (22', 85'), G. Bates (46')

Attendance: 215

Photos | Graeme Jackson

147 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page