top of page

Report | Billingham Town 1-1 West Allotment Celtic

West Allotment Celtic picked up a valuable point on the road in an evenly contested game away at Billingham Town with the score finishing 1-1.

We took the lead after just 6 minutes as Mikel Thompson scored his fifth goal of the season with a fantastic half-volley. The lead was cancelled out by the hosts on 38 minutes as Harvey Dickson fired his team level after a corner was swung into the box.

Although we were unable to keep up the winning momentum, the draw ensures that we remain unbeaten in our last 4 league games with a pivotal clash coming up next week away at Northallerton Town.

West Allotment certainly began this game as the better team and were rewarded very early on. A driving run from Ryan Higgins down the right caused problems. He played the ball into Mikel Thompson who juggled with the ball before hitting it past Norton and into the back of the net.

On 11 minutes, the hosts had one of the best chances of the game as they broke away and cracked the underside of the bar. Fortunately for Allotment, the ball ricocheted away from the goal and were able to clear their lines.

After this, chances were few and far between. On 32 minutes, Luke Parkinson swung an accurate cross towards the back post however, the ball just wouldn't sit down for Matty Hayton to hit it with a clean strike.

Hayton had another great chance 2 minutes later as Baltazar broke away down the left and played the ball into Hayton but Billingham goalkeeper Jack Norton was able to stop the shot.

We continued to pile on the pressure and once again went close to doubling lead a minute later as Thompson had a shot saved and then Hayton was unable to convert as the ball came back to him in a good position.

Against the run of play, Billingham Town found their equaliser with 38 minutes played. We were unable to clear the ball from a corner and, after some pinball in the box, Harvey Dickson smashed the ball into the roof of the net from a few yards out.

The second half was quiet up until the 62nd minute. Higgins carried the ball forwards and gave the ball to Chapim who laid it off to Hayton who's shot went just wide. A minute later, Billingham went up the other end of the pitch and put a header wide of the post.

With 10 minutes to go, the chances really started to come. Second half substitute Shane Donaghey delivered an inch-perfect corner into the box. Jake Forster got onto the end of it but had his shot very well-saved by Norton once again.

With 84 minutes played, Gilberto Chapim was next to come close to finding us a second goal. The ball fell to Chapim just outside the box. Nobody was closing him down so he hit the ball first time however, it was skied well over the bar.

Heading into stoppage time, Allotment received another corner which led to a pinball situation in the box. It was difficult to tell what was happening but Allotment were certainly unlucky not to put the ball in the net.

Seconds later, Matty Hayton was played in 1-on-1 with Jack Norton but was unable to take full control of the ball which led to a simple save from Norton in the end to earn his side a point.

Images: Graeme Jackson

69 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page