top of page

Match Report: West Allotment Celtic 3-3 Ashington

Updated: Aug 29, 2021

Saturday afternoon brought us a game that had absolutely everything, six goals, two penalties, a sending off and some late drama. West Allotment secured their first point of the season since the season opener however, it is bitter sweet after a late blow.

From the opening whistle, West Allotment were looking to keep the ball on the floor as they were playing some tidy football across the park. The hosts were first to get a shot away on goal after 4 minutes. Luke Parkinson won the ball up the pitch and drove forwards towards goal. His shot went over the bar but it was certainly a sign of intent and a sign of things to come.

After 11 minutes, Callum Larmouth found himself with about an inch of space on the edge of the box. He was next to get an effort away on goal however, it was blocked by an Ashington defender. A couple of minutes later saw Ashington's first attempt on goal.

Some neat passing and fast-paced counter-attacking down the right caused Allotment a few problems. At the end of the attacking move they managed to drill a shot towards goal however, it was a comfortable save for Finn Hodgson.

The next few moments of the game saw the boys in green start to take control. Martins picked up the ball down the right and delivered a cross into the box and Gee Baltazar was there to get connect with the header. Unfortunately, it was just off target.

15 minutes in, Larmouth opened the scoring for West Allotment with a fine goal. Mikel Thompson, who was back in the team after recently being unavailable, won the ball in Ashington's half. He turned away from the defender and played a through-ball into the feet of Larmouth. He remained composed and neatly slotted the ball away on his left foot to put Allotment ahead.

After 25 minutes, Ashington came close to what potentially could have been the goal of the season. Their wide midfielder received the ball and he took aim from about 30 yards out. The ball was looped high into the air and cannoned against the post.

Jake Forster was next to go close for the hosts on 33 minutes. He controlled a bouncing ball and shifted it onto his left foot and took the shot. It was heading straight for the bottom corner however, Dryden was equal to it and produced a nice save.

There was time for one more chance before half time but this time it fell the way of the visitors. They got in on goal despite the offside shouts however, the shot was blazed over from close range. The score at half time was 1-0 to West Allotment Celtic.

Allotment made one change for the second half as Dean Walker came on for Mikel Thompson. On 55 minutes, Allotment came very close to doubling their lead. Callum Larmouth once again turning his man and was able to get a shot away which whistled just past the post.

After 59 minutes, the game was level. A corner was swung into the box and although Hodgson got a hand to it, the ball was not cleared and Bramley was there to fire Ashington level. Just a few minutes later, the game was turned around completely as Ashington took the lead courtesy of McGorrigan.

McGorrigan stepped up to take a penalty after Graham Williams brought down his man in the box and the penalty was drilled straight down the middle to make the score 1-2 to Ashington.

On 67 minutes Allotment arguably could have been level immediately. Gee Baltazar broke away and although he put the ball into the net, the assistant referee had his flag up for an offside. After 75 minutes, Allotment came close again to getting level - this time through Dean Walker. Similar to Larmouth earlier in the half, Walker turned his man and got his shot away and again, it went inches past the post.

However, after 79 minutes Allotment finally found that equaliser through that man again, Callum Larmouth. Baltazar flicked the ball through to Larmouth and he smashed the ball into the top corner on his left foot again to make the score 2-2.

6 minutes later and West Allotment were awarded a penalty after Baltazar was brought down in the box. No surprises here as Callum Larmouth stepped up and buried the ball into the back of the net to fire us 3-2 ahead with 4 minutes left plus stoppage time. This was Larmouth's seventh goal of the season in all competitions and his second hat-rick of the season as well.

Four minutes of stoppage time was added on. With not much time to go, the hosts just needed to hang on. That task was made slightly tougher on the 90th minute as Gilberto Chapim was given a second yellow card for a foul and subsequently sent off. Allotment down to 10 men and Ashington were pushing for an equaliser.

In the 96th minute, West Allotment hearts were crushed. An Ashington player fired the ball towards goal which Hodgson saved after the ball was pinged into the box. The ball was not cleared by Allotment and there were multiple blue shirts queueing up to prod the ball home. Karl Ross was the man to do that to level the game at 3-3.

The full time whistle was sounded moments after Allotment restarted the game with the points being split at Palmersville.

Allotment: Hodgson, Higgins, Parkinson, Forster (Trodd 78'), Scott (c), Williams, Baltazar, Chapim, Larmouth, Thompson (Walker 46'), Martins (Jones 73')

Goals: Larmouth 3 (15', 79', 86')

Ashington: Dryden, Agnew, Salmon, Anderson, Bramley, Aziakonou, Slater (Cowburn 82'), Luke (Sampson 82'), McGorrigam, Robinson, Ross

Goals: Bramley (58'), McGorrigan (62'), Ross (90+6')

Attendance: 108

Club Photography - Graeme Jackson

120 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page