top of page

Match Report: West Allotment Celtic 2-4 West Auckland Town (17/08/21)

West Allotment's poor start to the season continued on Tuesday evening as they again slumped to a defeat which has left the club bottom of the league after their first five games.

The first chance of the game came three minutes in and it fell the way of the visitors. Their striker managed to get the ball after an error in the middle of the park from Allotment. Fortunately for Allotment, the shot trickled wide of the post to spare the early blushes.

After 12 minutes, Allotment had their first sight on goal. Dean Walker, who was playing in more of a number 10 role at the start of the game, got a shot away after being set up by Gee Baltazar however, the effort went over the bar to keep the score at 0-0.

That score line was not to remain like that for much longer as the visitors took the lead after 16 minutes. It was from a counterattack that carved open the Allotment defence which resulted in Kyle Fryatt keeping his cool and slotting the ball past Finn Hodgson.

19 minutes in and Allotment began to push for an equaliser as Baltazar's acrobatic effort fell into the gloves of Ross Coombe. After 25 minutes West Allotment managed to draw level. Jack Errington's shot from 25 yards out fired straight into the back of the net and left Coombe with no chance. A great strike to get the home side back on level-terms.

After 28 minutes, Allotment could have been 2-1 in front. The ball fell to Gee Baltazar in the box and his side-footed volley hit the post. Matty Hayton was almost there to tap home the rebound however, West Auckland just about denied him.

31 minutes in and it was West Auckland's turn to come close to a second goal. A free kick in a dangerous area led to a goalmouth scramble where West Allotment were just about able to keep the score level as they cleared their lines.

West Auckland were able to once again take the lead about 5 minutes before half time. First half substitute Gary Brown found himself in space down the right and he delivered a teasing cross across the box and Adam Mitchell was there to tap in at the back post. The half time whistle went with the score 1-2 to West Auckland.

West Allotment manager Jay Bates decided to switch things up at half time as forward Callum Larmouth came on for right back Ryan Higgins.

The first 12 minutes of the second half didn't produce any real opportunities for either side. West Auckland's first sighting on goal in the second half resulted in them taking a 1-3 lead. Liam Potter was granted too much space from a corner and managed to take full advantage as his header was fired past Hodgson into the back of the net.

On 65 minutes it became even worse for Allotment as West Auckland grabbed their fourth goal of the evening. Another counterattacking move was not dealt with and striker Jordan Blinco was there at the back post to get on the end of a cross.

The final 20 minutes of the game saw Allotment start to push up the pitch as they began to put some pressure on the visitors. Gee Baltazar handed the boys in green a lifeline with 71 minutes on the clock. A cross from left-hand side found Baltazar who was able to loop his header into the top corner to make the score 2-4.

After 77 minutes, the game nearly turned completely on its head as Allotment should have scored a thrid. Errington's through-ball found Callum Larmouth but the shot was saved by Coombes. 4 minutes later, Larmouth got another shot away and it was deflected out for a corner despite the handball shouts from the hosts.

On 85 minutes, West Auckland came close to a fifth goal which would have ended any hopes of an Allotment comeback. A shot from close range was saved very well by Hodgson however, this was the last big chance of the game. The full time whistle blew and West Auckland ran out 2-4 winners to leave West Allotment at the foot of the table.

Allotment: Hodgson, Higgins (Larmouth 46'), Parkinson, Forster, Scott (c), Williams, Baltazar, Errington, Hayton, Walker, Martins

Goals: Errington (25'), Baltazar (71')

West Auckland: Coombe, Hegarty, Ellison (Brown 20'), Horwood, Harwood, Potter, Thompson, Parnaby (Dodds 90'), Blinco, Mitchell, Fryatt

Goals: Fryatt (16'), Mitchell (39'), Potter (59'), Blinco (65')

Attendance: 120

(Next up we host Whitley Bay on Friday night in the Preliminary Round of The Emirates FA Cup. We hope to see plenty of faces there in what will be a huge game for the club. Kick off is at 7:30pm with tickets priced at £7 and £5. Children accompanied by an adult also go free! You can find the ground at Palmersville NE12 9HF).

132 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page