top of page

Match Report: West Allotment Celtic 1-1 Whitley Bay

A Callum Larmouth penalty on the stroke of half time cancelled out Whitley Bay's 20th minute opener with the points being shared on Tuesday evening at Palmersville.

Whitley Bay returned with the intention of avenging the FA Cup defeat at the hands of West Allotment from nearly 2 weeks ago. Despite leaving with a point, The Bay will be frustrated as they played 25 minutes of the game with an extra man after a Baltazar red card.

The game was played at a fast tempo and the first real opportunity fell the way of Mikel Thompson for West Allotment 6 minutes in. A Michael Trodd corner found the foot of Thompson who skied his side-footed volley over the bar.

The visitors were then forced into an early change after 15 minutes as striker Joe Malone picked up a knock after a challenge. He was replaced by former Allotment player, Gavin Dick.

Ultimately, the loss of their striker did not matter at all in the short term as Whitley Bay took full advantage of some sloppy marking from a free kick. Luke Taylor was left unmarked from about 10 yards out and he drilled his header into the top corner leaving Hodgson no chance in goal.

The game could have turned even worse for West Allotment after 35 minutes as Jon Weirs came close for Whitley but his well-hit shot went just inches over the bar. Moments later, the visitors had another free kick and Luke Taylor once again got on the end of it but was unable to double his side's lead.

Moments before half time the dynamic of the game shifted again as Gee Baltazar was brought down in the box and the official pointed to the penalty spot. Callum Larmouth stepped up to take it and powered the ball into the bottom left corner. Larmouth levelled the game and scored his eighth goal of the season in the process.

Manager Jay Bates made one change for the second half with Graham Williams being replaced by Shane Jones - The switch meant that Trodd slotted in alongside Scott at centre-half.

Larmouth came close to putting Allotment ahead after 49 minutes. Thompson found the feet of Higgins who then tapped the ball off to Larmouth who drilled a shot towards goal only for it to be tipped over the bar by Dan Lister.

Up the other end, Jon Weirs was next to come close. He found himself in a bit of space on the edge of the box and his effort was dragged inches wide of the right post. The game was beginning to open up with both sides looking threatening on the attack.

On 62 minutes, Matty Hayton was next to nearly score. He struck the ball on the edge of the box and it was blocked by a blue and white shirt, the ball fell back to the feet of Hayton so he turned around and hit the ball towards the bottom right corner only to be denied by a decent diving save by Lister.

The dynamic of the game once again shifted on 65 minutes. Baltazar broke away down the left and was tackled. The ball went out of play and the official awarded a goal kick. A straight red card was then handed out to Baltazar which appeared to be for dissent. Allotment down to 10 men for the remaining 25 minutes of the game.

The visitors began to dominate the possession and territory once they had the extra man on the pitch. They came close to taking the lead after 77 minutes from a close-range header however, Hodgson produced a smart save as he smothered the ball and was able to keep hold of it in the process. Just a minute later, they struck the bar after Allotment did not deal with a cross.

Despite being a man down, the Allotment lads were showing a lot of fight and there was still a desire to get forward and potentially find a winner. A cross came in from the left on 85 minutes and Dean Walker, a second half substitute, got on the end of it but his header was glanced wide.

In stoppage time, Allotment went close for the final time. This time, a bouncing ball about 25 yards out sat up perfectly for Shane Jones. He connected with a volley but was denied by another classy diving save from Dan Lister. Whitley had one more opportunity of their own from a cross where they were afforded a free header but fortunately for Allotment, the header sailed over the bar.

Allotment: Hodgson, Higgins, Parkinson, Trodd, Scott (c), Williams (Jones 46'), Thompson (Martins 75'), Chapim, Hayton (Walker 75'), Larmouth, Baltazar

Goal: Larmouth (45')

Whitley Bay: Lister, McFarlane (c), Gaffney, Lama, Dunn, Taylor, Chanayire, J. Weirs, Malone (Dick 15'), M.Weirs, Coulson

Goal: Taylor (20')

Attendance: 202

94 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page