top of page

Match Report: West Allotment 3-5 Thornaby (03/08/21)

An eventful evening at East Palmersville Sports Pavillion concluded with the visitors, Thornaby, coming out on top in a topsy-turvy game.

The occasion was huge for West Allotment as this was the first competitive fixture in our permanent new home in Forest Hall. Both sides were looking to keep the ball on the floor and play some attacking, expansive football in the early stages.

The first opportunity fell the way of the Visitors as they won a corner down the left after Ryan Higgins had stopped a cross. The corner was floated in and goalkeeper Finn Hodgson produced a save with 13 minutes on the clock to keep the score at 0-0.

A couple of minutes later saw Allotment's first big opening on goal. Striker Callum Larmouth found himself in some space on the edge of the box and pulled his shot just wide of the post. On 16 minutes, Thornaby had another huge opportunity of their own. Hutchinson found himself through on goal and attempted to lob Hodgson. The ball bounced before reaching the goal and then collided off the crossbar with Allotment scrambling to clear their lines.

Afterwards, Thornaby appeared to be taking slight control of the possession as they began to knock the ball around the park with confidence. Ultimately, this led to them opening the scoring after 25 minutes as Hutchinson bundled the ball into the net from a corner to put Thornaby 0-1 ahead.

The lead lasted a matter of minutes to the delight of Allotment. Mikel Thompson collected the ball from Larmouth, dribbled his way past a couple of blue shirts and then fired in from close range at the near post. Allotment back in it at 1-1.

Another huge chance fell to Allotment 5 minutes before the half time interval as Rui Martins flicked the ball on from a cross and the ball fell to Larmouth. Larmouth struck the ball on the volley inside the box and went just over the bar. The half time whistle would blow and the score at halftime was 1-1.

52 minutes in, Thornaby came close to once again taking the lead. A header from Davis flew over the bar and then moments later, Finn Hodgson was called into action with a huge save to once again deny Thornaby.

Just before the hour-mark, Allotment found themselves 2-1 ahead with a well-worked goal. Callum Larmouth switched the play out wide to Regan Paterson who then drilled the cross back into the box where Larmouth was there to get on the end of it. The Thornaby goalkeeper was left with no chance as the shot was fired into the roof of the net.

Once again, the scores were level after 68 minutes. James Frazer capitalised on a loose ball in the box from a corner and was able to slot his effort home to make it 2-2.

Following Thornaby's equaliser, they came close on three occasions inside 9 minutes to take the lead again. Finn Hodgson produced another two fine saves and captain Michael Scott was forced into clearing one off the line to keep Allotment in the game.

The craziness continued on 78 minutes as Allotment took the lead for the second time in the game. Mikel Thompson gave the ball to Paterson who carried the ball into the box and kept his composure cutting in on his right foot and bending his shot into the bottom right corner. Allotment leading 3-2 with about 10 minutes to play...

The lead only lasted a matter of minutes as Thornaby levelled after 83 minutes. Reece Kenney finding the bottom corner from a shot just outside the box. One minute later and it was 3-4 to Thornaby. The visitors were awarded a freekick in a dangerous area where the ball was whipped into the box and Anthony Callaghan was there to prod the ball home at the back-post.

It got even worse for Allotment minutes later as Thornaby were able to land the knockout blow. Joe Pickett put Thornaby 3-5 up with an accurate shot from outside the box.

That was the last big moment of the game as the referee blew his whistle for full time with the score finishing as West Allotment 3-5 Thornaby. A real tough one to take for the home side.

Next up, we travel to Billingham Town on Saturday in the Extra-Prelimanary Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

West Allotment: Hodgson, Higgins, Parkinson, Errington, Scott (c), Williams, Paterson (dos Santos 87'), Beeston, Larmouth (Jones 66'), Thompson, Martins (Walker 87')

Goals: Thompson (28'), Larmouth (59'), Paterson 78')

Thornaby: Dimi, Flounders, Callaghan, Kenney, Frazer, Poole, Moore (c), Scaife-Wheatley, Hutchinson, Davis, Beddow

Goals: Hutchinson (25'), Frazer (68'), Kenney (83'), Callaghan (84'), Pickett (86')

Attendance: 173

Club photography: Graeme Jackson

157 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page