top of page

Looking Forward To Today

Brandon United vs West Allotment Celtic Pre-Match Report

West Allotments incredible unbeaten run in the league came to end last weekend at seven games as they were defeated in a shock 3-1 loss to Chester-le-Street at home. The game provided Celtic with a chance to go top of the league, but it was not to be as Chester-le-Street stunned the home side and went back home with all three points in the bag. This weekend, Celtic face Brandon United, who currently sit 15th in the league on 11 points so far.

It was a disappointing result for Celtic last weekend as they missed a brilliant chance to reach the leagues summit after an excellent string of results in the league. The home side could not have started any better as three minutes into the match, Matthew Hayton once again scored for Celtic with an absolute cracker to go 1-0 up exceedingly early into the game. This was Hayton’s eighth match in a row with a goal, maintaining a very impressive streak for the centre forward in front of goal. Unfortunately, this was to be the only goal of the game for the home side as they began to look sluggish throughout the rest of the match. This was apparent straight away as Lee Dixon grabbed an equaliser for the away side only two minutes after Hayton’s opener. Dixon tapped the ball into the net past Hodgson to make it 1-1 after an underpowered header back to the goalkeeper went wrong and provided the striker with an easy opportunity to score, in which he duly delivered. After dominating much of the game in the first half, the visitors took the lead in the 21st minute. A long ball forward created a race between Finn Hodgson in the Celtic net and Chester-Le-Street’s Owen Henderson to reach the ball first. Owen Henderson won the race in the end and poked the ball past the keeper to stun the home side and give his team and well deserved 2-1 lead. The away sides dominance continued in the first half as they went on to make it 3-1 in the 33rd minute after a well worked shot across the box from Lee Dixon flew past Hodgson in goal and piled even more misery onto West Allotment. Things got even worse two minutes later as Michael Trodd was shown a straight red card for a dangerous lunge on one of the away side’s players, leaving the referee no choice but to send him off. The second half saw a lot less action but the game was effectively over for Celtic following the red card, meaning the remainder of the game petered out and saw the away side hold on for a surprising but deserved 3-1 win and a big three points. This was a game that would have left the home side frustrated, especially knowing they would’ve went top of the league with a win, but they must now move on to another big game and a tough challenge as they visit a Brandon United side coming off the back of a very impressive mid-week victory.

Saturdays game is once again another chance for Celtic to reach the top of the league table if results go their way as three points would match current leaders, Carlisle City’s, points total and give them the chance to go ahead on goal difference. Another loss, however, could see the away side finish the day as low as eighth, dropping four places from their current league position. This vast position difference from results shows how much is at stake once again this weekend as Celtic will need no more motivation than the chance to get back to winning ways and reach the top of the division as they go out onto the field to battle with Brandon United.

The hosts on Saturday are coming off of an impressive win against high flying Bedlington Terriers as they defeated their opponents 2-1 away from home on Wednesday night. Brandon United went down 1-0 fairly early in the game in the ninth minute as Liam Anderson scored for the home side. The away side started to get more into the game and had an excellent five-minute spell where they both go an equaliser and saw Bedlington go down to ten men. In the 21st minute, Wayne Whitfield found an equaliser for the away side and then five minutes later, the home sides goal scorer, Liam Anderson, got sent off in a quick, devastating collapse for the Terriers. Not a lot happened for the rest of the game until Wayne Whitfield once again stepped up for the away side in the 92nd minute to snatch a winner and a big three points for the away team. Whitfield might be a dangerous opponent which Celtic will have to keep their eye on closely in the weekends game after two goals in this match.

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page